Majestic
| August 31, 2015

Hey hey! Today is the last day of the ONE-WEEK-SPECIAL showing you the most beautiful places from my last journey to Ireland. I held back this content for the end of the story because it's just so magical and majestic. But this has been our last visit as well, right before driving to the airport.

Glendalough

Before we're heading to the building in the picture above, I lead you to the valley of the two lakes where the probably most atmospheric cloistral district is set. It's told that St. Kevin had been looking for an isolated place where he has founded a monk's community. The community has been grown and grown, so he settled down to the lower lake with them. Nowadays, it's a well visited place of pilgrimage, especially on St. Kevin's Day (June 3rd).


Silence and contemplation are two things out of many St. Kevin was searching for and he found it here. I expected this location to be mystical and enchanted, with sounds of splashing water from the streams while the setting sun shines through the rustling leaves. Way from it. It felt like there were hundreds of tourists in several groups pushing each other through this area. This really hasn't been the atmosphere St. Kevin has been surrounded by.

It's known that July and August are the months the most tourists come to Ireland. Everywhere we had headed to - of course sights mentioned in the travel guides - a lot of coaches were there, too, and that was to be expected. But at Glendalough it got really annoying and inappropriate. Although, I shot some pictures for you (and me, to enjoy it from home all by myself :D).

It really was way worse than it looks like in the pictures, I only took pictures when the great rush was over!








Powerscourt House & Gardens

Now back to something positive: the area around the Powerscourt Estate has been so spacious that all the many tourists could walk in different directions, so the mass spread in the garden.
Next to the Powerscourt House you'll also find the Powerscourt Hotel / Resort / Spa, definitely a place of leisure and feeling good!

I really recommend you to visit this place when you're in Ireland. It's only about 30 minutes away from Dublin city centre (by car)!



I.   I T A L I A N   G A R D E N




I I.   T O W E R   V A L L E Y




I I I.   J A P A N E S E   G A R D E N







I V.   T R I T O N   L A K E







V.   R H O D O D E N D R O N   W A L K




V I.   D O L P H I N   P O N D





V I I.   W A L L E D   G A R D E N S

















V I I I.   P O W E R S C O U R T   H O U S E






Conclusion

Finally, I want to share with you my opinions, general recommendations and tips I inferred from my experience.
As you may have noticed throughout the posts this week, we've been really lucky regarding the weather. When we had checked the weather forecast, they predicted us five days full of rain. That our week might be the driest and sunniest of the Irish summer, we didn't dare to wish for. I'm happy how it all came together!


Compared to Scotland (quite similar country), where the tourists mainly occupied a few hot spots, they invaded every well-known sight here. In Scotland we often had the feeling we were the only ones visiting the sight. I think the round trip tourism is existing likewise but in Scotland it's not that seasonal limited as in Ireland. Maybe this has been the reason for the many crowds.


In Scotland we primarily stayed in B&Bs, here we booked hotels only.

B&Bs
  • The hosts will welcome you as if you're their best friend.
  • You'll get a house tour, where to find what and mostly they have a good recommendation where to have dinner tonight.
  • They'll celebrate having breakfast, every space on the table will be occupied.
  • Many things they'll serve is homemade.
  • You'll get to know the natives even better by talking to your hosts. Often they give you tips for your day trip that doesn't appear in travel guides but are worth visiting nonetheless.
  • It's favored that you'll arrive until 6 pm, if you're delayed you should call your hosts! Normally, a delay of 1-2 hours is okay, but I wouldn't keep them waiting longer, that's impolite.

HOTELS
  • When you have to drive up to 300 kilometers one day and include some stops, it's usually impossible to arrive at your accommodation by 6 pm. The hotel reception is staffed 24/7.
  • When you have had a tough sightseeing day, it's very comfortable when there's a local option to have dinner.
  • Depending on the rate of accommodation, the breakfast might not be freshly served and there might be only rare / impersonal contact with the staff.
  • Depending on the rate of accommodation, the hotel might be interchangeable. They may be very modern, but from the inside you can't make a difference if you're in e.g. Germany or Ireland.

Maybe you already noticed that I'm a big supporter of B&Bs. It's as if you experienced your whole holiday more intensively and kinda better! And the extremely friendly welcome and treatment in general will make you feel at home!

Since I've told you so much, I'd like to know your experiences visiting Ireland! Do you agree with me in some points or not? Did you like the ONE-WEEK-SPECIAL? And in general: Do you want more Travel-Guide-Posts like this? Not over one week, but rather one longer post at once. If yes, about which destination? I have so much in store haha. Just leave me a note in the comment section below. Feedback is welcome!

Next Monday I'll be back with a fashion post, so stay tuned!

2 comments

  1. Impressive! You have great talent to capture special moments. The quality of your images is very good, I really love your blog!♡
    Keep it up!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Maria! I'm really glad you like it! :)

    Best wishes, Marie

    ReplyDelete